On Monday, the Kentucky Attorney General's office ruled that UK violated the Open Meetings act when it did not keep minutes during a dinner meeting of the Board of Trustees. 

The Lexington Herald-Leader reported that UK must create minutes from the dinner that reflect the "substance of the presentation" given by a Washington D.C. lawyer during the dinner meeting. 

The meeting happened on May 2. The Herald-Leader reported that the presentation concerned a $4 million the university reimbursed to the federal government after billing programs at a UK cardiology clinic in Hazard. UK officials said no action was taken during the meeting. UK denied the Herald-Leader's requests to view minutes from the meeting. 

The newspaper said the attorney general's office ruled that UK did not need to provide detailed minutes since the meeting was proper advertised, but the university was wrong in saying minutes are only needed if action was taken in the meeting. 

The Herald-Leader reported UK officials will review the Attorney General's office's ruling. UK can appeal the decision in circuit court. 

"We are please the attorney general acknowledge that UK complied with the Open Meetings Act with respect to whether an agenda is necessary for a meeting that is properly promoted, as the meeting in question clearly was," UK spokesman Jay Blanton said to the Herald-Leader. "We are reviewing the decision with respect to whether minutes are required for every meeting -- even those that involve attorney-client privilege and in which no decisions are made." 

Read more at kentucky.com.