UK President Eli Capilouto formed a committee to find a long-term resolution to the mural in Memorial Hall, which has sparked discussions about race relations on campus.

The fresco was covered by a white sheet during part of the fall semester after students raised complaints that the mural's depictions of slavery were offensive.

"Our campus has benefited greatly from the discussion fostered by the mural, its history and its meaning. Now, it is time to place it in a more historically accurate and complete context," Capilouto wrote in an article on UKNow. "It is an important work for our campus and our Commonwealth. But it can no longer be displayed in a context that is incomplete or one that unintentionally marginalizes members of our community."

Mural

Mural inside Memorial Hall will soon be covered up by a white sheet. Photo by Joel Repoley | Staff 

The committee is co-chaired by Melynda Price, law professor and director of the African-American and Africana Studies program, and Terry Allen, the interim vice president for Institutional Diversity.

People who would like to contact the committee can email mural@uky.edu. Allen told UKNow that the committee has no exact timeline for their work, but will work as quickly as possible.

Other members of the committee are:

• Rashad Bigham, student
  • Terry Birdwhistell, dean of UK Libraries
  • Jim Clark, director of the Henry Clay Memorial Foundation, former executive director of the Public Art Fund in New York City and former president and CEO of LexArts
  • Anastasia Curwood, assistant professor of history at UK
  • Jacqueline Hamilton, director of UK HealthCare's Arts in HealthCare program
  • Nicole Jenkins, associate professor of accounting in the UK Gatton College of Business and Economics
  • Allan Richards, associate professor in the School of Art and Visual Studies at UK
  • Arturo Sandoval, professor in the School of Art and Visual Studies at UK
  • Richard Schein, professor and chair of the Department of Geography at UK