The university will uncover the highly-debated mural in the foyer of Memorial Hall, President Eli Capilouto wrote Thursday on his blog. 

Minority student leaders expressed several campus concerns last fall, including the mural's depiction of slaves, to Capilouto.  The mural was covered in November while university officials debated what to do with the art.

In his blog, Capilouto said a committee formed for the mural decided to keep the mural in place, but to include other artworks in Memorial Hall to reflect other perspectives of history. 

"Now, as the committee recommended, it is time to tell the story more completely and through the eyes of many experiences – preserving the art as part of our history, but adding to it to tell a more complete and sensitively rendered story of our human experience," Capilouto wrote.

Ann Rice O’Hanlon, a former UK art student, created the mural in 1934. It is considered to be "one of the only true frescos" in the country, the O'Hanlon Center for the Arts' website said. 

National Association of Black Journalists UK chapter vice president Kaelin Massey told the Kentucky Kernel in November that the mural was discussed but it was not the one of the student leaders' main topics.

“Art is taken by those who view it, but it depicts something that people don’t like to talk about,” Massey said in November.